I'm in the Anti-Spyware business, and I'm doing a lot of advertising to promote my website, but here I am online and on the phone, giving my personal information to.....who? Strangers basically, Geez!.
I was reading an excellent article today titled “Identity Theft” by Judith Collins at eWeek.com, when it got me to thinking.... I'm in the Anti-Spyware business, and I'm doing a lot of advertising to promote my website, but here I am online and on the phone, giving my personal information to.....who? Strangers basically, Geez!.
The majority of identity thefts occur thru contractors employing people in entry-level jobs that have not been properly screened. Not even Hackers,Phishers or Dumpster Divers account for as many! The ideal location for a Identity stealer would be in a out sourced agency that fails to use adequate screening processes.
I've read many articles lately that state we need stricter guidelines and procedures to insure we have proper security as consumers. A set of universal rules that would be adhered to by all. To even think of the enormous complexity of this project staggers the mind!
So here I am, I want to take a advertisement out at a prestigious magazine that is published in a traditional print paper and online. I may have to deal with people online and on the phone.I give my name, address, phone number, and……my credit card number! EGAD, what am I doing?
Then my common sense and education about matters such as these kicks in and I rationalize that these companies would not be in business if they couldn’t keep their customers happy. But,accidents happen.
So you see my dilemma. I know computer security and Spyware, and the vulnerabilities and strengths when dealing online. Its just a little new to me to trust, when I know the ramifications to me personally if my Identity were to be used for ill-gotten gain.
I know after all these years of being a, OK I admit it, a slightly paranoid online user, that I need to make myself a little vunerable so I can better succeed in my online business.
Ive been where the people who contact me asking for help are; a place in their minds of anger, frustration and helplessness.
But then as I said earlier, common sense and education about Spyware wins over and I take a deep breath and go on.
The California Attorney General has a excellent website for Identity Theft at
http://caag.state.ca.us/idtheft/
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Another Fine Mess!
Posted by
andha
at
6:58 PM
Labels:
adware |
anti spyware |
anti virus |
identity theft |
malware |
spyware
Entri Populer
-
Chat software is a tool offered by some websites which allows the visitors to get real time support. The user will typically click on a menu...
-
Keeping track of a lot of passwords can be a pain, especially if you run a dual-boot system. Fortunately, there's a way to simplify t...
-
This paper is devoted to the analysis of mandatory access restriction system for Oracle DBMS. As the result, several leakage channels are di...
-
Effective applicant tracking systems like time in a bottle enable HR managers to interview the best candidates. Ineffective applicant tracki...
-
Uninstalling a Windows application leaves multiple traces such as abandoned registry keys, configuration files and shared libraries that are...
-
There are a number of companies that provide software solutions to virus, Trojan, and internet worm attacks. It can be really confusing when...
-
foobar2000 is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include full unicode support...
-
The failures of ERP projects are preventable if we can identify the common causes of the failures regardless the companies and industries th...
-
This software highlight takes a look at some of the top free photo editors. Since the advent of the smartphone put a camera at everyone’s ...
-
There's an adventurer in every one of us. Free yours and enjoy the outstanding experience of playing Arvale II – Ocean of Time 4.0, whic...
0 comments:
Post a Comment